Monday, March 5, 2012

Upcycled Tee Shirt Yarn

I hoard things badly. Including tee shirts long after they should have been donated or thrown out. It's fabric! I may need it! In surfing the other day, I found a tutorial on how to make bulk "yarn" out of a tee shirt. 
I'd like to share my version with you!

This project could be used to make a rug, pot holders or even a crocheted basket.


Materials
Old tee shirt
Sharp pair of scissors (I used my sewing scissors)


1. Lay tee shirt flat on work surface.

2. Cut straight across under sleeves. Also, cut hem off and you won't be able to stretch the stitched part.


3. Fold in half, side to side, so that the sides of each are about one inch apart.
 4. Cut up to the first layer, but not all the way through the bottom layer's side. Do not cut strips less than 15mm.
(see how I just cut through the top layer)

5. Open up uncut part, cut diagonally from first to second row to create a sort of spiral.

6. Start rolling into a ball, stretching along the way to make the fabric pull into a tube (like celery stalks)

7. Grab your size Q hook and start crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment